Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Start is Near

School starts in a week. I’m not sure if I’m looking forward to it or not.

I am, unexpectedly, enjoying preparing for this year. My classes are coming together. I’m getting the Digital Graphics class ready. I’ve updated the schools webpage.

My desire to coach basketball is diminishing. I really want to be a good teacher. I want to concentrate on teaching this year, but the struggle of finding time for both my class and basketball will continue. To most, it would seem not like a struggle. The class work would come first. However, basketball just eats time. Think about it: waiting for kids to be picked up after practice, practicing on weekend’s b/c you have to share the gym with everyone else, and the worst time eater – bus rides. When you are riding 40 minutes to play somewhere during winter, you can’t really grade papers. Actually, I have very few papers to grade because of what I teach. I have to be in my classroom to grade due the fact I teach digital graphics. Printing is expensive and the waste of paper is not something my liberal leanings can abide. Plus, part of me wants to return to school to earn my degree in Educational Leadership (educationese at its worst…it’s an Administration Degree). Basketball obstructs that desire because we play on so many different nights of the week.

No comments: