Saturday, August 16, 2008

Teachers Have Plenty of Free Time

School has started. I realized I'm a busy bee. In fact, on the first day of school they listed all of my duties. Not exactly sure when I'm expected to teach. Honestly, I really have less pressure on me than most teachers. I don't teach a core class so I don't affect our school performance score and other NCLB things. I do, however, make the school look good, so that is where my pressure lies.

These are my duties at school:
  • Web Site Coordinator
  • Awards Day Coordinator
  • Graphic Design Coordinator
  • Public Relations Coordinator (which includes submitting stories to the local news media and our own cable access channel, plus designing and editing the parent newsletter
  • Marquee Operator
  • Assistant Boys Basketball Coach

This doesn't include just being a teacher. I don't get off at 2:30. I don't really get holidays (basketball plays every holiday except Labor Day and Easter). And because I'm a professional, don't think I take the entire summer off.

I don't really get paid a lot either. That doesn't matter. I do it because the kids at my school deserve for me to do a lot of the stuff I do. Until I get kids of my own, it will be that way. The only problem is if I do all that stuff, when do I have time to find someone to have kids with?

No comments: