Sunday, June 15, 2008

All Cert Up and Feeling Bored

I get to go to an education training this week. Pinch me quick! I’m stoked. High-fiv…nah, I hate that crap. I hate how people who have never met my kids or taught in the same geographical region as I do try to tell me how to teach. It’s all bullshit. Sorry for the profanity, dear reader(s), but sometime I like to call a spade a spade. This one will probably be worse. It’s computer training for the IC3 certification.

Don’t get me wrong, it will be nice to have another certification. I also think this class will be good for most teachers that attend. Not me. I’m already an A+ Certified Computer Technician, which IC3 lists as a more advanced certification. Hopefully, I will learn just one thing. The last two computer trainings I went to I had the same wish. Maybe, this one will come through to me.

I know I seem cocky, but should I be cocky about what I teach. While we might not be advanced experts like college professors, teachers should be a low level expert on their subject matter. I know, and you probably do to too, too many teachers who can teach but have no clue what it is they are teaching. They can give you methods galore, but not facts, figures or theories. It’s like have a large vocabulary with nothing important to say. I do hope most of the teachers who attend this training are of my mindset, so maybe they can teach us some more advanced topics beyond copying and pasting (which is one of the benchmarks for the IC3).

The other thing that I’m worried about is that teachers are the worst students. You usually have three groups. First is the quiet group. I like this group. Second is my group. This is the group that will be good but bored but also can’t hide their utter contempt for the third group. The ones that have no idea of what they are doing and worse don’t know how to articulate that to the trainer. Then when they think they know something they try to go ahead, make a mistake and have no clue how to get back to where the rest of the class is.

Also, I don’t have time for this. I just installed the Adobe CS3 master collection. Now, if they would have sent me to that training for certification, well, I would be so happy.

No comments: